The Long Business Trip
>> Sunday, April 19, 2009
And so, the long business trip begins. My original title for this post was "This F^$%$^ Day," but I thought I'd be less vulgar. My Butters has landed safely in Ft. Jackson, South Carolina to begin training for Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), military title for the war in Afghanistan.
Prior to this, I took some "vacation" time to spend with my Butters. It was my goal to have a mini-getaway at some point during our two weeks together. Perhaps the two-day getaway to some sleepy town by the coast I envisioned wasn't quite what materialized. Instead, most of our time was consumed with preparation for his imminent departure. But, somewhere in the midst of the packing, repacking, schlepping, etc., there were more memories made. Two people trying to maximize the time they had together. I guess it's true that the adventure lies in the journey itself.
Today, was not a day I was looking forward to. Trying to find the silver lining, my wise Butters reassured me that "the sooner I get started, the sooner I can come back safely home." Still, I dreaded this day.
The truth is, no amount of mental and emotional preparation could have readied me for this day. We had to face it head on. Just like I have to find the strength to face each day one step at a time.



0 comments:
Post a Comment